A merger, acquisition, or divestiture inherently triggers change across not only one, but potentially multiple organizations. It requires many decisions — from staffing to branding to capital consolidation. One of the most challenging decisions for organizations involves tenant to tenant migrations.
As a top-tier Microsoft partner with extensive experience in Microsoft 365, Quisitive has the expertise to plan, manage, and implement your migration, taking into account identity management, workload migration, and change management.
We do this by taking a programmatic approach that includes an extensive tenant assessment and migration path planning to ensure a smooth transition and mitigate business disruption, a validated domain cutover, and systemic migration process, and both pre and post-migration communications and adoption support.
Our Microsoft 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration Approach
Step 1: Assessment
The assessment is used to gain an accurate snapshot of each tenant to measure usage and productivity impact. This includes…
- An objective scoring matrix facilitated by Quisitive for both tenants which includes evaluation of the following:
- Current workloads in both environments including configuration settings, identity and security settings, usage activity, and data size
- Active applications within each tenant and migration impact on users
- Tabulation of active workloads
- Current productivity score for both tenants
- Considerations for using a greenfield tenant
- Recommendations for the optimal option for consolidation into a single tenant
- High-level timeline and cost estimates
Step 2: Planning and Readiness Validation
Prior to migration, Quisitive’s Microsoft 365 experts will implement a cutover readiness validation to ensure all of your organization’s needs are identified and addressed. This includes:
- Readiness validation of migration tools
- Review and capture of existing infrastructure
- Identification of potential migration challenges and recommendations
- Network configuration
- Planning considerations
- Document migration strategy
- Reconfiguration plan for mail-enabled applications
- Validation of mailbox, personal and departmental file storage size
- Teams structure, security, and storage size validation
Step 3: Migration and Support
After an assessment and successful planning comes the tenant-to-tenant cutover and data migration including the communications, change management, and end-user support.
- Cutover of domain object ownership supported by Microsoft Premier Support
- Postmigration service testing
- Client software reconfiguration
- End-User Communication for Microsoft 365 cutover impact
- Service Desk Support for Microsoft 365 cutover and post-cutover period
Learn what you can expect from a tenant to tenant migration in our blog series from Modern Workplace expert, Tim Knight.